Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Chrysanthemums

I have a small vase with large, white, bright chrysanthemums
On  my kitchen window.
Three things are special about them.

First , they were given to me by a very handsome young man,
Out of love, and a desire to please.
Though - the stems are too short and they were not yet in full bloom.

Second, I had planted them myself a year ago -
And although they had been neglected,
And left un-watered through the summer heat,
An had been abused by the children's play,
They still persevered
And brought pleasure to me today.

And third, although as I mentioned, 
When Brent gave them to me,
They were not in their prettiest bloom,
Each day , they grow more beautiful
And more bright and white,
And bring more happiness into my kitchen.

I wish I were like the chrysanthemums.
Growing strong on my own -
Through the discomforts of life -
Unruffled by the children's play -
And always ready to give of myself 
To make another's day brighter and happier.

barbara cope
copyright  Oct. 29, 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment