Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Dear Mother

     Although I can't be with you
On this your special day,
     My thoughts and all my love
Have come there anyway.

     Dear Mother I know now
Why, why you have loved the violet so,
     For it expresses all you are
And how I want to grow.

     The violet stands for humility,
Tenderness and love,
     And these are gifts, given to you,
Given from up above.

     And so dear mother let me now
In my own small way,
     Dedicate this flower to you,
For this and everyday.

     And when I see this flower,
A violet sweet and true,
     There I will look and I shall see
The smiling face of you.

     A face that brings humility,
Encouragement, and love,
     A face that will glow in heaven,
When you are raised above.

     My heart is with you always,
In everything I do
     And this is why, I want to wish
A very happy Mother's Day for you.

                   Barbara Cope
                   Copyright April 30, 1954
 (This is the first poem Barbara wrote.
    It was written to her mother as a Mother's Day
    gift while Barbara was away from home attending BYU in Provo, Utah.)

No comments:

Post a Comment